Monday, June 21, 2010

The Greatest Show on Earth

I love evolution.

Beautifully simplistic and infinitely complex.

I recall hearing as a child that whales were mammals. I never truly understood the significance of this. We hear about why we classify whales this way. Something about hair, nursing young with milk, having hand-like things, needing to breathe air (not uniquely mammalian, I know), etc. I was like so what? It wasn't till I realize what whales being mammals truly meant. It meant that long ago there were descendants of whales that lived on the land and decided (for whatever reason) to live in the sea.

I think things like that blow my mind.

Dawkins has a bone to pick in this book. With good reason as well. There is an intended anti-intellectual movement going on in this world. It is attacking science because it goes against their beliefs. It's really sad to see. These are not new arguments. These are not people playing in the same field as all these evolutionary biologists. They use political games and inject their message in other ways.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm taking my time with it. Non-fiction books just don't flow as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment